Safeguarding Customer Funds
Safeguarding Customer Funds
Get Smart on customer protection and segregation requirements with FIA-IFM Training. This course has been jointly developed by NFA, FIA, and industry professionals to help market participants understand the safeguards in place to protect customer funds in the futures market.
This online course is designed to meet the training requirements mandated by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission Rule 1.11. According to the rule, all finance, treasury, operations, regulatory, compliance, settlement, and other relevant officers and employees within the organization must be trained annually. The course includes interactive exercises to test comprehension.
- Understand the need for segregation and the regulatory structure in place for handling customer funds.
- Be aware of the Risk Management Program (RMP) policies and procedures related to segregation risks and protection regimes for classification/origins for U.S. and non-U.S. markets.
- Know how residual interest works and the restrictions on the use of excess funds.
- Recognize permitted investment types, liquidity requirements, and recordkeeping obligations for customer funds.
- Understand daily segregation computation, segregation investment detail reports, and when regulators must be notified.
- Know the financial information that must be posted on an FCM's website. (Optional module, FCM supervisor determines completion requirement.)
Training Duration: Approximately 60 minutes. A training certificate can be downloaded by the learner after successful course completion.
Get Smart Training: Developed by the Industry for the Industry
Our curated training courses are developed by the industry for the industry so you can be confident that the material presented is what you need to help train internal staff and customers. Subject Matter Experts with relevant expertise develop content and industry professionals and working groups evaluate the scripts, review drafts, and contribute content when appropriate.
Exchanges develop content based on where they believe market participants most need education. We also use outside counsel as appropriate to help us write and/or review content. Courses are updated as rules change.
Qualify for a Discount? FIA Member firms and their employees are eligible for discounts on courses. FIA members include more than 300 financial services firms as well as fund managers, commercial hedgers, global exchanges, technology vendors, and legal and other professional services providers.
Purchase training for employees via an enterprise, corporate license or individually for just a few. Read more about our pricing options.
- $60 FIA Member discounted rate will be applied at checkout.
Volume discounts for training are available for firms with 16 or more participants. Please contact the IFM at 202-223-1528, or via e-mail at info@theIFM.org.
Order Fulfillment: You will receive two emails 1) a confirmation of your transaction after you finalize your order, and 2) an email usually within an hour after you place your order with your training login credentials which are different from those used to place an order. Please note web-delivered product orders are fulfilled during normal business hours, Monday to Friday 9 AM to 5 PM Eastern Time, excluding U.S. holidays.